Troubleshooting Outlook Express Keeps Asking For Username and Password
Do you receive an error Outlook Express keeps asking for username and password? Are you also looking for a solution to resolve this Outlook Express issue? If the answer is yes, then you are at the right place. Here, we have come up with a reliable solution for the same, which will help you to fix Outlook express constantly asking for password common errors in a very simple, fast, and effortless manner.
Microsoft Outlook Express is widely used free, basic email-clients on the Windows operating system. In this, each mail folder contains a single file. It is used to store and maintains emails, calendars, contacts, tasks etc. in DBX format and it supports only till Windows XP and Windows Vista platform. Sometimes, users may face many issues while accessing the Outlook Express like prompt a message that asking for username and password. Therefore, this blog will be discussing about the constant problems encountered Outlook Express keeps asking for username and password and the ways on how to resolve them.
Real Time Scenarios For Outlook Express Keeps Asking For Username And Password
“I am an Outlook Express user. When I open or click on send or receive option on Outlook Express, then a window pops up that is asking for the username and password. I enter the username and password and click OK. Then, the window just pops up again. I know that the password and username are correct but the warning window still pops up. Is there any solution to fix Outlook Express repeatedly prompts for password?”
“Since a long time ago I was working on Outlook Express. But, yesterday I have received an error message Outlook express 6 keeps asking for password again and again. Even I have searched so many techniques, but I was not able to find a robust solution for the same. Therefore, I want to know that Is there any technique that will help to fix Outlook Express repeatedly prompts for password in an efficient way.”
Also Read: How to troubleshoot Outlook Keeps Crashing in Windows XP?
Why Outlook Express Repeatedly Prompts For Password – Top Reasons
This Outlook Express keeps asking for password Windows XP message occurs for one or more of the following reasons:
- You may have a corrupted Outlook Express profile or a corrupted identity.
- The registry contains incorrect information for the protected storage system provider.
- There are conflicts with add-ins or with antivirus software.
How to Fix Outlook Express Keeps Asking for Username and Password in Windows XP Error?
You can resolve Outlook Express email keeps asking for password Windows XP by following these steps:
- First of all, exit the all running programs.
- Then, click on Start button >> Run. After that, type regedit in the Open box, and click on OK button.
- Now, locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
- In this step, select Permissions option from the Edit menu.
- Further, click on the Registry key for the user who is currently logged on.
- Then, ensure that both Read and Full Control permissions are set to Allow.
- Next, click on Advanced button.
- Subsequently, verify that the user who is logged on at present is selected. Also, make sure that the Full Control is considered in the Permissions column & Key and Subkeys option is listed in the Apply to column.
- After that, select the checkbox next to Replace permission entries on all child objects…….to child objects.
- Click on Apply button and then click on Yes to proceed further.
- After that, Click OK button two times.
- Double-click on the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key. After that, click on the user sub key folder that is under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
- Next, click on the Delete button from the Edit menu, and then click on Yes in the warning message dialog box.
The user sub key folder is similar to the following example:
- On the Registry menu, click on Exit button. Then, restart the computer.
- Once the computer has been restarted, open the Outlook Express program and enter the password to your mail account.
The Final Words
In this write-up, we have discussed the Outlook Express keeps asking for username and password error encountered by many Outlook Express users over a period of time. This error can be resolved on the Windows XP platform by performing simple steps, which is mentioned above. Apart from this, various reasons behind this error message are also described in this blog.