Sharepoint Team Site vs Communication Site: Explore Here
Do you know what makes the Sharepoint Team Site different from Communication Site? Dig in here to know what is the difference between a Team Site and a Communication Site in SharePoint. In this blog, we are going to discuss the following segments:
Let Us Begin!
1. What is the SharePoint Team Site?
When team members work together on a project then the SharePoint team site is used. The team members can share, store and collaborate information on files from anywhere and any device with the help of the team site in SharePoint. When a user creates Office 365 account then the team is created by default. On the other hand, when a team site is created Form templates, Documents, Site Assets, SitePage, Site Library are created by default. Basically, Team Site connect the user and the team to content and information to implement the daily tasks. Moreover, team site only exist for SharePoint Online and On-Premises and can also be connected to Office 365 Groups
2. What is Communication Site?
Communication Sites are a simple and smart way for selecting a particular number of people to create an engaging site to share and broadcast information like news, documents, events, images or videos. It serves for group collaboration but it is not connected to an Office 365 Group. Moreover, the communication site creates a site collection that is mobile friendly and adapted to display information in a dynamic way.
3. Creating a Team Site in SharePoint Admin Center
One can easily follow the steps explained below to create a Team Site in SharePoint Admin Center using the browser.
- First, you need to open the SharePoint Admin Center and then click on We are working on a new SharePoint Admin Center
- You will be able to see Active Sites in Modern SharePoint Admin center. Click on Create to create a new ‘Site Collection’
- Now, you will see two options Team site template and Communication site template. For the creation of Team Site select Team Site Template
- Next, you need to fill the form to create a new team:
– Site: Add a name for the SharePoint team site
– Group Email Address: The Group email address will automatically generate with the identical name as the team site name. The user is giving space in the team site name but the Group email address will be generated without space. For Example, if the name is ‘SharePoint Team Site’ then Group email address will be ‘SharePointTeamSite’.
– Site Address: It will create automatically.
– Group Owner: Add the name of the person whom you want to be an owner of our SharePoint Team site
– Select a language: The English language is selected by default
– Privacy Settings: In Privacy Setting, two options are given Public and Private option. If you select Public then everyone in the organization will be able to access the SharePoint Team site. If Private option is selected then the team site member will be able to access the SharePoint Team site.
- After all the settings, click on the Next button
- Now, on the Next page, you will be able to see settings such as:
– Add Additional Owners: You can add the additional owner name
– Add Members: Add the member’s names whom you want to add in the SharePoint team site and click on the Finish button
- Finally, your site will be created and you will be able to see your team site name in the Active Sites
4. Creating Communication Site In the Modern SharePoint Admin Center
To create communication site in the modern SharePoint Admin Center, the user has to follow the steps explained below.
- First of all, navigate to the SharePoint admin center and then click on Create > Active Sites
- Now, select Communication Template for new SharePoint communication site
- Next, you will see similar fields that were present in the SharePoint team site page
- In the site name, you can add ‘Communication Site for SharePoint’. After that, fill all the fields such as Site Address, Site Description, Site Owner, Select a language, etc. with correct details
- Finally, click on the Finish button. You will be able to see the Communication Site in the Active Sites page.
5. Difference Between Team Site and Communication Site in Sharepoint
- When a team of people collaborate the information and work together for a task then they can opt for SharePoint Team Site. On the other hand, if a person wants to share the information with the wide group of people, then SharePoint communication site template is a good choice.
- When a new SharePoint team site is created by the user then Office 365 group is created automatically. But, in the case of SharePoint Communication Site, no Office 365 group is created.
- One can set the Privacy Settings options while creating a SharePoint team site. Apart from this, the Privacy Settings option is not displayed while creating a new SharePoint communication site.
- The team site in the Home Page is different from Home Page in SharePoint communication site. In the SharePoint Team Site, one can see the Quick Launch and Top Navigation option. In SharePoint Communication Site Quick Launch is not displayed, one can only see the Top Navigation.
- In SharePoint Team Site modern Office 365 admin, the user can create a subsite whereas in Communication Site subsite creation is not available.
- The web part page, wiki page, site page, are present in Pages Library in SharePoint Team Site. In the Communication Site, content type and pages are present in Page Library.
Most of the users are not able to decide whether to create a SharePoint Team site or communication site. Thus, in this blog, we have introduced the difference between Team Site and Communication Site in Sharepoint. This will help the user to understand the Sharepoint Team Site vs Communication Site in a simplified way and pick the best one as per requirements and functionalities.