How to Protect Yourself from Cyberstalking : 8 Useful Tips
Most of us are aware of what stalking is, but not many users know what is cyberstalking is! Cyber-stalking is a new face of cyber-crime that takes place over the internet. The victim rarely has face-to-face interaction with the stalker. Surely, cyberstalking is a horrible part of the online world and provides harmful results. Therefore, in this blog, we are going to discuss what is cyberstalking and how to protect yourself against cyberstalking & cyberstalker.
What is Cyberstalking or Online Stalking?
Cyberstalking is defined as the use of online media to stalk, harass, manipulate, or threaten a child, adult, organization. It is similar to physical stalking, but the difference is they rely on online technology. Social Networks, email, personal information available online, everything on the internet can be used by cyberstalkers to make contact with their targets. The cyberstalking tactics include false accusations, threats of harm, collect the information that used to threaten, identity theft and more. A stalker may be an online stranger or a known person. The motive of the cyberstalkers is to make the victim feel embarrassed, powerless or degraded. Through this blog you can explore how to protect yourself from cyberstalking
Who can be the Cyberstalkers?
Most of the time cyberstalker is someone the victim knows. However, there are many stalkers who will find their targets by using search engines and become obsessed with finding information about the victim. And, the victim has no idea that somebody getting data about them. Below, the list of different types of cyberstalkers are mentioned:
|Type of Cyber-Stalkers
|Did not know the identity
Possible Risks from Cyberstalking
1. Take the control of victim online accounts on different sites.
2. Steal the person’s personal contact details and misuse it.
3. Track the victim using mobile GPS or spyware on phones.
4. Create a false profile of victim on social networking sites.
5. Impersonation of the innocent target being used to stalk others and makes victim as the guilty party.
6. Receiving direct threats of killing through email or instant messaging.
7. Harassment or stalking of victim relatives, friends to threaten him.
8. Stalker can post images of victims on pornographic websites.
9. Due to cyberstalking, most of the target or victim faces stress disorder.
8 Ways to Protect Yourself from Cyberstalking
The following are some steps that can be taken by the peoples to protect yourself against cyberstalking:
1. Check the privacy settings on social media sites. And, make sure that the people from the contact list could only see photos and updates.
2. If someone is stalking a person, then stop posting the location of your place on online sites to protect yourself from a cyberstalker . Because a stalker can easily find victim with the help of geolocation.
3. Create a strong and unique password for the online accounts. Also, enable the two-factor authentication feature to get an extra layer of security. Additionally, change the password at regular interval of time.
4. Always have the updated anti-virus software and firewall protection in the system.
5. Make sure what you are uploading on social media sites. Do not provide too much personal information so that a stalker can use it against you to Protect Yourself From Cyberstalking.
6. Check how much your information is available online. For this, just Google your name in quotes, e.g. “Jessica Alba”. Review the information that is searched by the net.
7. Do not share the sensitive information to other people while connected with public Wi-Fi. It is the most unsecured way and cyberstalker can easily get the personal information from it.
8. In the email account, never open the spam messages or email sent by the stranger to protect yourself against cyberstalking. Moreover, cyberstalking is not limited to an individual. The reputed organization also faces the same issues, that someone wants to steal their data that stored on a remote location. We cannot stop online stalking but can build a strong infrastructure, so no one can steal anything from it. So its recommended to keep caution & protect yourself from a cyberstalker / internet stalkers
In today’s arena, the use of internet has become more regularized, so everyone should be educated about cyberstalking and its consequences. And, implement the strategies suggested above to Protect Yourself From Cyberstalking.